September 26, 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Erin Bryan
E[email protected] | 952-838-9000
October marks 10-year anniversary of National Bullying Prevention Month
Minneapolis: Much can occur in a decade, and PACER’s National Bullying Prevention Center proves it. Over the past 10 years, the Center’s National Bullying Prevention Month campaign grew from a small event to a worldwide effort with multiple activities. National Bullying Prevention Month in October is supported by hundreds of schools, major corporations, and celebrities.
“October is a time when educators, students, parents, and community members can unite to share their support for the important issue of bullying prevention,” said Julie Hertzog, director of PACER’s National Bullying Prevention Center. “Together, we can make our schools and communities safer.”
There are many ways schools and community members can get involved this October for the 10-year anniversary of National Bullying Prevention Month:
- Celebrate Unity Day: Students, teachers, and community members will wear and share orange, and send a united message of support on Unity Day, Wednesday, Oct. 19. Schools and organizations that serve children and families across the country have plans to host awareness events. Photos will be shared on social media using #UnityDay2016.
- Wear orange: People can send a message of unity and support by wearing orange items, such as T-shirts, socks, hats, ties, wristbands, or shoelaces on Unity Day and all month long! You can also order the official PACER T-shirt, which is part of CustomInk’s sixth annual “Be Good to Each Other” campaign; visit customink.com/stopbullying.
- Share orange: Enhance your Facebook profile photo with an orange National Bullying Prevention Month frame. Visit facebook.com/profilepicframes and search the “Causes” category beginning Oct. 1. Instagram users can edit photos with an orange tint.
- Hold events and activities: Communities around the country mark National Bullying Prevention Month through creative events and initiatives. There are many resources, including classroom toolkits, free bookmarks, posters, and awareness-raising ideas available at PACER.org/Bullying. Some ideas include:
- Run, Walk, Roll Against Bullying: This family-friendly run or walk/roll can include speakers, live entertainment, prizes, and more to raise awareness and funds for bullying prevention efforts in communities around the world.
- You’re Not Alone: PACER’s You’re Not Alone® toolkits offer materials for classrooms and communities to show support to those who are bullied.
For more information about National Bullying Prevention Month and to learn how to become involved in this worldwide campaign, call 952-838-9000 or visit PACER.org/bullying.