Social SecuritySocial Security 

If you pay into the Social Security system as a wage earner, you will receive a portion of the money you need to retire. Social Security is not intended to provide all of your retirement income needs. How much of a retirement benefit you receive from Social Security depends on how much and how long you paid into the system through payroll deductions or, if self-employed, through quarterly tax payments. 

Your Social Security Statement

If you are 25 years of age or older, and have paid into the Social Security system as a wage earner, you should receive a Social Security statement every year. Your statement should arrive about three months before your birth month. It will list your retirement benefits, your earnings record, and information on how your benefits are estimated. This information can help you plan for the future.

How Your Retirement Age Affects Your Retirement Income

Make special note in your Social Security Statement in the difference in your monthly income should you retire at the earliest possible age of 62, compared to retiring at age 66 or 67 (depending on when you were born), or even later. 

This is an important distinction.

Note that if you begin collecting benefits at age 62, you permanently reduce your monthly income. That means you will never be able to collect the full monthly income benefit you are entitled to collect. You can only collect that full income benefit if you retire at age 66 or 67, or later.

How to Request Your Social Security Statement

If you are over 25 years of age or older, and have paid into the Social Security System but are not receiving a statement of benefits every year, contact the Social Security Administration and request a copy of Your Social Security Statement, Form SSA-7004-SM:

Call 1-800-772-1213 (Voice) or 1-800-325-0778 (TTY)
Social Security Administration
Office of Earnings Operations
P.O. Box 33026
Baltimore, MD 21290-3026

Information You Will Need to Request Your Social Security Statement 

  • Have ready the following information to complete a request for Your Social Security Statement:
  • Your name as shown on your Social Security Card
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your date of birth
  • Your place of birth
  • Your mother's maiden name (last name only; to help identify you)

If You Need to Correct Information on Your Social Security Statement

If any of your personal information or income listed in your earnings record is incorrect, contact Social Security using the information above and request Form 8822. Complete the form and mail it back to the address specified on the form. You can also correct your information online at