Federal Programs—Public Housing and Housing VouchersFederal Programs—Public Housing and Housing Vouchers

Both of these programs are similar. One provides public sector housing (Public Housing), the other provides private sector housing (Housing Vouchers). They are federally funded programs and administered by local Public Housing Agencies (PHAs). 

Eligibility is based on financial need. By law, a PHA must provide a certain number of individuals housing. That number varies by geographic region and its income level. Individuals who participate in these programs may be responsible for utility payments, but only up to a certain percentage of their income.

To find out more about these programs in your area, contact your local Housing and Urban Development (HUD) office.