STC - Navigation Menu
Simon Technology Center Overview
Assistive technology can be a device or service that helps children with disabilities participate more independently within their environment at home or school.
The Simon Technology Center (STC) is dedicated to making the benefits of technology more accessible to children and adults with disabilities. Through a collaborated effort involving parents, professionals, and consumers, the STC can provide numerous services for your family, as well as resources and informative answers to your questions. Since 1987, the Simon Technology Center has helped many children and adults, with a variety of disabilities, use assistive technology to enhance learning, work and independence.
The Simon Technology Center provides a variety of core services to help children, families, and professionals including:
- Technology consultations
- Lending library
- Individualized Training Sessions
- SUPER Service for used assistive technology
- In-services and workshops
- Simon Technology Center videos
The Simon Technology Center also operates several projects with specific focuses such as:
PACER’s Simon Technology Center is thrilled to add some new, cutting edge technology.
- VGo Robot
- UbiDuo Wireless Face to Face Communicato
- Tobii Eye Mobile.
- TIKES Project
- Project KITE
- EX.I.T.E. Internship
- Leadership Academy
- Universally Designed Technology in Schools
- Teens Succeeding with Technology
- Microsoft Accessibility Resource Center
Featured Services and Projects
The STC Lending Library has launched a new modern online catalog of items!
With more than 1,900 items, the Lending Library lets you try out and borrow some of the newest educational and disability-specific software and devices on the market including:
- Text-to-speech software for reading accessibility
- Speech-to-text software for improved written communication
- Universally designed toys for playtime accessibility and inclusion
- Communication devices for communication freedom
- Computer access adaptations for independence
- Talking calculators for improved independence with math
The Simon Technology Center Lending Library allows you to try assistive technology before making a purchase decision and is open to Minnesota residents. Families, educators, and consumers who become library members benefit from personalized assistance, convenient hours and services. As a member, you can:
- Receive personal assistance in selecting and checking out materials.
- Try out devices and software.
- Reserve, check-out, or renew items online, by phone, email or in person.
- Schedule quick pick-up during regular business hours or library open hours.
- Have items mailed to you for free if you live in Greater Minnesota.
The Simon Technology and its projects are generously sponsored by private donations and the following foundations: 3M, Boston Scientific, Donaldson Foundation, Ecolab, Fred C. & Katherine B. Andersen Foundation, Grotto Foundation, IBM, Medtronic, Minneapolis Rotary Community Service Foundation, The Minneapolis Foundation, Schulze Family Foundation, Verizon, and Xcel Energy. In kind support provided by Accenture and Target.