COVID-19 Operations Statement
The PACER office building is currently closed to visitors, however, we are still offering library services remotely (by email [email protected], voice mail 952-838-1400, or MyTurn). Borrowing options:
- “Pickup (Schedule Appointment)” – We have curbside pick-up and drop-off available by appointment on Wednesdays and Thursdays between 11am-4pm. To schedule your appointment for pickup, select a time slot in MyTurn. For a drop-off appointment, contact us at [email protected].
- “iOS Apps (iPad…) …” – You may borrow iOS apps to download onto your own Apple mobile device via electronic delivery. Please follow the instructions provided with this choice in MyTurn.
- *Note: We are not able to loan out iOS apps to a STAR membership.
- “Shipping” – We can mail items to you at no cost, and then you have a choice for returning:
- Mailing back to us via United States Postal Service (USPS), with tracking. You are responsible for paying costs to return by mail.
- Scheduling curbside drop-off at Pacer by emailing [email protected].
- *Note: You must place your reservation 3 days or more in advance. If you attempt to schedule the start of your reservation before then, you will receive this message: “items not available”.
- *Note: Please keep in mind that some reservation requests will require one-week or more to prepare (such as iPads, communication devices, items to be shipped, and others). We will contact you regarding these circumstances as needed.
If you would like to renew your library items, please email us your request with the explanation (reason) at [email protected]. We can renew items based on availability, current loan duration, and other circumstances.
Simon Technology Center Lending Library
Assistive technology (AT) is any device or service that helps children with disabilities participate more independently in life. Ranging from simple adaptations to highly sophisticated technology, AT helps people communicate, learn, live independently, be included, and succeed at home, school and work. Which technology is right for you or your child? Find out at the Simon Technology Center Lending Library!
With more than 1,700 items, the lending Library lets you try out and borrow some of the newest educational and disability-specific software and devices on the market including:
- Text-to-speech software for reading accessibility
- Speech-to-text software for improved written communication
- Universally designed toys for playtime accessibility and inclusion
- Communication devices for communication freedom
- Computer access adaptations for independence
- Talking calculators for improved independence with math
The Simon Technology Center Lending Library allows you to try assistive technology before making a purchase decision and is open to Minnesota residents. Families, educators, and consumers who become library members benefit from personalized assistance, convenient hours and services. As a member, you can:
- Receive personal assistance in selecting and checking out materials.
- Try out devices and software.
- Reserve, check-out, or renew items by phone, email or in person.
- Schedule quick pick-up during regular business hours or library open hours.
- Have items mailed to you for free if you live in Greater Minnesota.
Stop in during open hours to browse and explore the Simon Technology Center's array of assistive technology!
For more than 30 years, PACER’s Simon Technology Center has provided services through its lending library to parents, professionals, educators, schools and organizations throughout Minnesota. In April 2017 we opened our lending library memberships to patrons from other states, which improves our ability to help patrons from bordering states identify and access the right technology in a timely way.
Becoming a Lending Library Member
STC Lending Library membership options for residents of Minnesota
Specialty Memberships only available to MN residents
STC Lending Library membership options for out of state members
Collections and New Items
Thanks to several grants from the Paul Adelman Children with Disabilities Endowment Fund, PACER was able to purchase two VGo Robots, the UbiDuo Wireless Face to Face Communicator, the Tobii Eye Mobile, the Nova Chat 8, the Accent 800, the Accent 1000, the Blaze ET, the E-Bot Pro, the VoiceMe ECU, the Pilot One, and the Relax IR Learning Remote. In 2017 PACER received additional funds to purchase a mobile technology toolkit. Purchased included apps for communication, literacy and visual support as well as a variety of tablets, accessories, and apps.
Each of these exciting technologies has the ability to greatly improve the quality of life for individuals with a broad range of disabilities. You can view all of the technology received through the Paul Adelman Children with Disabilities Endowment Fund by visiting our Lending Library’s online catalog. Simply search for “Adelman” to see the entire collection.
New Library Items
Blue2 Bluetooth Switch
The Liftware Level Spoon
The Livescribe Smartpen
The Sparkup Magical Reader by Sparkup Ltd.
The J-Pad Switch by Pretorian Technologies LTD
The Vidget by Viggie Kids, Corp.
Wear Locket by W-ear
PylePro Multimedia iPad Floor Stand by Pyle Audio, Inc.