Thursday, February 27- 29, 2020 at PACER Center in Bloomington.
Application's are no longer being taken
Application Deadline: Thursday, February 6, 2020
This FREE training will take place at PACER Center. For trainees traveling more than 50 miles one-way, shared hotel accommodations are provided.
“Parent leadership training gave me the confidence to be a much better advocate for my own son plus has given me amazing opportunities to help others.”
- Parent Leadership Trainee
- Build capacity and confidence to advocate effectively within the special education process
- Become familiar with the wide range of resources PACER offers parents
- Learn how services on a child's IEP are based on the needs identified in the child's school district Evaluation
- Gain experience teaching other parents to identify gaps in their children’s IEP services and supports
- Network with other Minnesota parents of children with disabilities
To apply, you must be the parent of a child with a disability who is 5 to 20 years old and currently receiving special education services on an IEP and agree to participate in the entire training.
Parent Leaders who attend this training will return to their home communities with the skills to engage in a variety of volunteer activities, including:
- Promote and assist at PACER workshops near you
- Attend IEP team meetings with other parents to serve as a notetaker
- Speak or write to others in your community about the needs of children with disabilities
- Work with policymakers in your school district or other forums on issues related to special education
We will notify you if you are selected by Monday, February 10. If you have questions, contact Rachel Pearson at 952-838-9000 or by email at [email protected]