A key aspect of family engagement is including parent and caregivers in the decision-making process at their child's school. Karen Mapp’s Dual Capacity Framework for Family Engagement emphasizes building the capacity of families to negotiate multiple roles as part of an effective school – family partnership. This partnership includes families as decision makers and advocates. Joyce Epstein, a leading expert on family engagement, also lists “decision making” as one of the six ways to engage in your child’s education.
Decisions that were once considered to be the domain of the educator are now a part of a shared governance mandate….Educators and parents need to learn to govern together, because doing so will inevitably improve the quality of decisions.
For school, family and community partnerships to be successful, parents must be heard and share in the decision-making that takes place at their child(ren)’s school(s). However, this is not always an easy or comfortable role for parents. This may be challenging for families from diverse backgrounds who have been excluded from, overlooked or may not feel prepared for a leadership role. Therefore, it is important to train and support parents and other family members to take on a parent leadership role so they can be a meaningful participant. Here are resources that can be used to educate families and staff about parent leadership at schools.
- Parent Leadership and Systems Change
- Special Education Advisory Councils (SEAC)
- Tips for Emerging Leaders
- Telling Your Personal Story
PACER Parent Leadership Sections
- Special Education Parent Leadership
- Children's Mental Health Parent Leadership
- Early Childhood Professional Training Materials
Other Parent Leadership Resources
- Serving On Groups
Archived webinars and a guidebook for families and others on how to serve on workgroups, committees, etc.
- Leading by Convening
Interactive modules with a user guide and tools that can be used for individual professional development or for group trainings.
- Engaging Parents in Education: Lessons From Five Parental Information and Resource Centers , US Department of Education (2007)
- Parent Leadership Manual , Georgia Department of Education) (2013)
Organizations That Provide Parent Leadership Training
- United Parent Leaders Action Network
- National Parent Leadership Institute
- Parent Institute for Quality Education