Skip to main content

School Discipline of Minnesota Students with Disabilities - Parent Information

Skip Over Table of Contents

Table of Contents

My Child is Not on an IEP or Section 504 Plan

Before this incident:

None of the above.


Your child may be treated like any child without a disability for disciplinary purposes.

Tip: If you believe your child may be in need of special education, you should make a written request for an evaluation for special education services to the school principal or director of special education for the district. If you make such a request, your child will remain in the disciplinary setting (suspension, expulsion* or alternative placement) pending the results of an expedited evaluation,1 which must be completed in fewer than 30 school days from receipt of your written consent for the evaluation. If your child’s placement in the disciplinary setting ends before the evaluation is completed, your child will return to his or her prior placement while the evaluation is completed.

If you wish to find out about discipline rules for students who are on IEPs, click here >>>

After the first incident I made a Written Request for Special Education Services >>>


Continue this guide >>>


  1. 34 C.F.R. 300.534(d)(2)